Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hive Tracks - a Great Program for Keeping Bee Records

I have just started using the new program:  Hive Tracks.  It's easy, free, user-friendly, and I can't wait to add things to it.  Here's what the view of my Blue Heron hive record looks like:


Adding data is easy.  It allows me to have a diagram on the right of the bee equipment on the hive (even including the slatted rack).

I'm so excited to use it.

The only drawback that I can see is that it doesn't have the set up to list a top bar hive - but I adapted and entered Topsy as a hive that lives in 1 deep box.  No matter - I can still keep records here of my inspections and harvests (see how optimistic I am!).



These guys did the beekeeping community a real service by developing this software.  Give it a try.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:26 AM

    Linda: As a beekeeper with multiple hives, I have learned the importance of keeping good records since my memory isn't always the best. And I like what the guys at Hive Tracks have done. Its a good way of keeping accurate records and best of all, its free. My issue with Hive Tracks is that you're at the mercy of their servers. If their servers are down, you're in a mess until they come back up, and that means you have to enter the information later. While I'm sure they're in it for the long haul, if they close up shop then you're still in a pickle or sorts with all your records there. As for me, I'm using a combination of Microsoft Excel and Google Documents (which means I'm at Google's mercy too). Don't get me wrong, I really like Hive Tracks, but it worries me about not having access to my records and depending on someone else's service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:51 AM

    I use the RedNoteBook program for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the developers of Hive Tracks. Thanks for mentioning us on your blog!

    We are in it for the long haul. Whatever you do online, you are at the mercy of servers ...we are using servers from reputable operations. Note that you can download your data to a spreadsheet to have a local copy.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Linda, how is the Hive Tracks program working out for you?

    I only have two hives and a notebook and that works well for me because it's quick and easy. But I'd consider using Hive Tracks as long as it could accommodate me instead of the other way around.

    I've used similar services and programs in the past (for non-beekeeping stuff) that seem like a good idea at the time, but what should be a convenience ends up being more work.

    Not that I've passed judgement on Hive Tracks. I haven't tried it because I don't feel a need for it yet. Just curious how it's working out for you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So far I really like Hive Tracks. It's keeping me organized. I wish there were an app for my Droid because it would be easier to enter data while in the field.

    As you can tell from my blogging, I like to think out loud about what happens in my hives so I also keep notes away from Hive Tracks (on my blog here and on the private blog we have going for the Linda Ts Bees business)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I wrote an Android app for taking records at bee yard. You take them directly to your phone or tablet and then later you send them to your comp. It's free. Hope you will like to use Bee Hive Tracker app.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai_aesrabingol.bee

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...