Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Two Swarms in One Day

Last night on my email for this blog, a man who lives near my house wrote me that he had a small swarm in a bush at his house. I decided to go and get it in spite of the fact that Cindy Bee had also called me to get another swarm this morning - talk about biting off more than one can chew! Here are pictures of Mike's swarm which was located in this beautiful shrub at the front corner of his yard.
The bees were not in a position either for me to cut the branch on which they
gathered nor were they on a branch that could be shaken. I put the sheet under the box and used my yellow bee brush to push the bees down into the box, hoping that the queen would be in the first brush's worth of bees.


Sure enough, the bees quickly moved into the box to join the queen and began the nasonov signal to any left out bees. I had the whole swarm in the box within about 25 minutes. I finished just as the garbage truck drove by, pausing to collect the trash without giving me in my space outfit a second glance!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...