Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Garden Club Talk about Bees



On Monday night I gave a talk to a garden club in Stone Mountain, GA on being a beekeeper. I took an empty 8 frame medium hive box, screened bottom board, super and some frames. I took a frame of pollen, a frame of partially drawn comb, and a fully capped frame of honey to show them.

The meeting was a group of men and women who were quite interested in the bees and asked all kinds of questions. I let them taste honey from my bees and gave them all lip balm in tin watch cases (see picture). I passed around a beeswax candle and let them try the lotion that I had just finished the night before. I also handed out a sheet of bee facts that I had gotten from various places.

I was a little scared since the only other talk I had given to non-beekeepers was at the Atlanta History Center in October. This garden club talk went really well and they asked good questions. As it turned out, the hardest part was finding the house where the garden club met, although now that I have a phone with a GPS system as part of it, I never get completely lost!

My next scheduled talk is on Feb 25 when I will be talking to the Henderson Mill 5th grade school garden club at their after school meeting - that should be fun.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:56 PM

    I love your lip balm labels! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:58 PM

    I am sure it must have been a wonderful gathering and it looks like you covered all the basics of beekeeping from beginning to the end product. How wonderful of you to give away those wonderful gifts of lip balm. I am excited for you to be able to give these talks and share your knowledge with people.

    Have a great time on Feb 25 with the kids. They ask the best questions.

    Annette from Placerville California

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...