Welcome - Explore my Blog

I've been keeping this blog for all of my beekeeping years and I am beginning my 19th year of beekeeping in April 2024. Now there are more than 1300 posts on this blog. Please use the search bar below to search the blog for other posts on a subject in which you are interested. You can also click on the "label" at the end of a post and all posts with that label will show up. At the very bottom of this page is a list of all the labels I've used.

Even if you find one post on the subject, I've posted a lot on basic beekeeping skills like installing bees, harvesting honey, inspecting the hive, etc. so be sure to search for more once you've found a topic of interest to you. And watch the useful videos and slide shows on the sidebar. All of them have captions. Please share posts of interest via Facebook, Pinterest, etc.

I began this blog to chronicle my beekeeping experiences. I have read lots of beekeeping books, but nothing takes the place of either hands-on experience with an experienced beekeeper or good pictures of the process. I want people to have a clearer picture of what to expect in their beekeeping so I post pictures and write about my beekeeping saga here.Master Beekeeper Enjoy with me as I learn and grow as a beekeeper.

Need help with an Atlanta area swarm? Visit Found a Swarm? Call a Beekeeper. ‪(404) 482-1848‬

Want to Pin this post?

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Small Hive Beetle stuck in propolis

I did a quick inspection of the hives today to see what I might need to do. I am going to the mountains where a friend has empty supers from when he was a beekeeper and he has offered to give me some. I needed to see how full my current supers are.

I opened both hives to find that each hive has full supers of honey that is capped and ready to take from the hive. Bermuda has three supers full of capped honey. I moved the empty super from Bermuda to a lower place in the hive - this is the fourth shallow super and it had honey in it as well but wasn't being worked on as eagerly as the other ones.

Destin had two supers full of capped honey. The bees are working hard on the third super which is just above the medium brood chamber.

I will definitely need to get some of his supers when I see him next.

The most interesting thing I saw were dead hive beetles. I saw a few live ones - not at many as the last time I opened the hives, but then I found the same thing in each hive. In one of the honey supers I pried the frames up one at a time to look at them. As I lifted one of the frames I saw seven small hive beetles propolized at the end of the frame between the frame and the shelf that holds it. Amazingly when I opened the other hive, I found pretty much the same thing - four or five small hive beetles propolized at the end of one of the frames. I'm sad I didn't have my camera with me.

Hooray for my girls - they are protecting their hive, stores and brood quite well.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen my bees do the same thing. When I open them up after 2 weeks or so, they have usually trapped at least 3 beetles in propolis between the top bar and the cover. It's really intresting to see the bees do the same thing in an observation hive. I used to have one a few years ago. I watched one beetle get encased in a prison of propolis, chew through it and solicit for food from the honeybees...which actually FED it!

    ReplyDelete

Pin this post

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...